Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homemade deoderant?

So, has anyone had any success with making homemade deoderant sans baking soda?

Aluminum is something I have tried to avoid putting in my body. Partly because once it gets in, it doesn't come out and partly because controversy exists about aluminum's link to Alzheimers, breast cancer and the list goes on. Besides aluminum, in almost all deoderants I've found triclosan, propylene glycol, parabens and other sketchy ingredients. Personallly, I don't want these concoctions of toxins daily slathered on one of the most sensitive areas of a person's body (and I just sounded like Dr. Seuss... brilliant...).

I did try making deoderant last winter - aluminum-free baking soda, coconut oil and a couple drops of lavender oil. It worked, but after a few days of application, the baking soda was irritating my skin - and honestly, who wants irritated skin there? Constant friction and my poor skin would be red and irritated for several days. I used it all, slowly. After trying to put up with the constant red, I tried putting it on every other day (using a commercial deoderant or a salt crystal on the opposite days). However, it still wasn't idea. So I've searched around internet world. Kitchen Stewardship blog has a great article here about homemade deoderant, but it seems very similar to my recipe. Perhaps I'll try less baking soda next time. 

Does anyone know of any recipes for homemade deoderant that do not include baking soda? 

1 comment:

Die Freibeuterin said...

A very simple (but yet nice and natural) recipe:
30 ml vinegar
95 ml water
50-60 drops of essential oil (best is 10 drops tea tree oil and then others as you like, like orange, lily, ...)
Hope you like it!